Monday, November 26, 2007

Hindraf Rally



This is the foothill of Batu Caves, a scene I've always tried to capture with my camera each time I passed by it. But this same place was the scene of unrest yesterday morning ahead of the planned Hindraf Rally.

According to Malaysiakini, quoting Hindraf leader P Uthayakumar, police fired tear gas at those sleeping in Batu Caves temple at 4am yesterday. Unconfirmed reports said about 700 people were arrested there, said the online news portal.

The collection of on-site pictures seem to support the story. The crowd were rounded up on all corners, herded into the Batu Caves Temple -- house arrest style.

Then, teargas and water cannons were fired into the crowd locked in the temple compound.


For more information, visit malaysiakini.com and jeffooi.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi The Happy suffer.

    Ah!, The Batu Caves.

    I remember them well, we would pass them by each time we drove down from KKB to KL and on one occasion we secretly halted at ‘The Caves’ and visited the Temple to marvel at the religious shines etc. [The Caves were out of bounds to us, definitely a no go area].

    I am surprised and disgusted that a holy place should be used for a containment area for what I understand to be a peaceful rally [I take it that the Hindraf rally was] what on earth were the authorities thinking of. Surely there were other places that if they wanted to confine the movement of the rally they could have chosen. - I am disgusted at the Malayan authorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mick, I sure hope there isn't any serious damage to the place.

    I'm not sure what really happened there but I was told these people came from outstation (other states) and camped there for the night. They were supposed to join the rally the next morning.

    ReplyDelete