Thursday, May 15, 2008

China Earthquake

On Monday, May 12, 2008, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit Wenchuan county in Sichuan Province. The epicenter is less than 100 kilometers away from Chengdu, capital of Sichuan Province. The whole nation is involved in the rescue effort. Last I read, almost 15,000 have perished, 25,000 under the rubble and 8,000 still missing.

If you read Chinese, you can get 24-hour updates here.

In the meantime, here are some shots from a forwarded email, whose captions must have been put together by a sensitive, caring person. The source is unknown and I might have to take them pictures down if asked to. Just thought I'd share them here. The magnitude of devastation is unimaginable.




























Source is unknown but "Thank you" to whoever put this touching compilation together

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:26 AM

    I watches this on this as there is also up to date reports on it on Astro.
    I can't say I feel their pain, but I know the suffering is great.
    I can only pray and donate money to help.
    A tragedy that touches everyone especially chinese all around the world and the citizens of China

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a visuals person so what I see affects me. Any disaster that involves loss of life and hurt is painful so it's painful to watch the news. I hope they are able to save more lives, save more people who are still buried under the rubble. This somehow brings back memories of the Highland Tower collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and informative photos. Thanks for sharing.

    Mother Nature is saying something, but usually says to the wrong people.. the poor of the poorest, the weak of the weakest, and the humble of the humblest! Hope the victims find quick healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those words have been said...

    ...and I can't find any of my own.

    Too shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Joe, you're welcome.

    So true what you said about Mother Nature and yes, hope the victims find quick healing.

    MM, absolutely!

    ReplyDelete