Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Love at first bite - durian

A story on The Star a couple of days ago made me smile. Any story of a Mat Salleh (foreigner) who loves durians is a good story to tell, yes?

Meet Gabriel Granback. It was love at first bite for this Swedish student when he first tasted durian two weeks ago at Balik Pulau in Penang, the place touted for having the best durians in Malaysia.


The 23-year-old loves the fruit so much that he can consume about 10 durians a day either for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Let's hear what he has to say.

“I first tasted durians in Thailand. I thought it was really good. Later, I did some research on the Internet and found out that in Malaysia, the best durians come from Penang.

“The durians here are on another level. The smell and taste are sensational and they cannot be found in Thailand.

“The taste is like a creamy vanilla fudge with chocolate. I could have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well,” said Granback, a first-time visitor to Penang.


Am I glad Malaysian durians are back in season! Yay!


Related articles:
- Durian, the heavenly fruit
- That thorny fruit - Penang's famous Balik Pulau durians

.. and a quiz..What Tropical Fruit Are You?

3 comments:

  1. Used to love durians lastime, but I was gaining so much weight, so I stopped.. Now, I don't take durians anymore..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malaysian durians are definitely better than Thailand! But to eat durians for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Big No NO for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 durians a day???? mak oi...how many coconuts or mangosteen he eats?

    ReplyDelete